The first word that popped into my memory when I stepped a foot on this classy restaurant is the word “sexy.” C’mon! What’s not sexy about lavish food and excellent choices of wine? So far, this is the most enjoyable dinner I have had this year. They offer an array of world-class wines stored in an Enomatic digital dispenser system and it was heaven! I had two or more glasses of each kind of their best seller wines. Also, I complement the wine bottle chandeliers that accents the gray and black theme of the whole interior.
Here are the highlights.
1. Urban Old Vines 2013: I love all the wines I drank, but this one is the best. It’s a happy drink! I am not sure if its chardonnay, all I know is I love its citrusy flavor. The other wines I enjoyed Folie a Deux Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 which has that floral essence to it, Paul Mas Sauvignon Blanc 2012 and Pircas Negras Malbec 2013.
2. Tinapa Dip: Too bad I don’t have a picture of this really excellent dip. I would never have guessed it is made of smoked fish because it looks like a cream mustard. It is paired with crispy pork rinds which I believe cooked using an air fryer. The tinapa dip tastes more like a light cream cheese infused with smoked fish. Lovely!
3. Mashed Potatoes: Foodies knows this well about mashed potatoes, it is easier to get turned off than be impressed by it. This classic comfort food must be carefully prepared. The perfect mashed potatoes have the rich herby flavor and have the creamy, fluffy texture. Otherwise, a small mistake can ruin both its taste and texture. I have tried several mashed potatoes from restaurants that are either underseasoned or dry. The chef of Planet Grapes did an excellent job and made this just right.
4. Adobo Rice: It does not taste like monosodium glutamate, and that’s the best about their adobo rice. Such an inviting dish that made even better with adobo floss garnished on top, not only it tastes delicious, it also looks delicious.
5. Turon Trilogy: I came from one of the world’s largest banana producers, which is why this Filipino merienda has always been present in my entire childhood. I grew up eating various versions of this native delicacy. When I tried this version of Turon, I was taken back to my childhood memories. The soft saba banana, the mild sweetness of jackfruit strips and purple yam definitely scores high.
6. Buko Pie Bites: The mixture of soft coconut meat and the creaminess of milk wrapped in a slightly salted thin crust dough is a perfect 10!
7. Organic Barbecue Pork Spare Ribs: The glossy sheen implies the savory lightly sweet glaze of a perfectly marinated pork spare ribs. I love it when the meat just falls off the bone and that just happened. It was good.
8. Chicken Barbecue: Tender chicken meat chunks skewered with scallions which make it more aromatic, a perfect match for Cabernet Sauvignon.
9. Crème Brulée: What’s impressive about their crème brulée is they have three flavors of it. My favorite is the one with the Durian flavor because I haven’t tried that anywhere else. They also have the banana flavor and, of course, the original version. It was an OK dessert, but the hard caramel on top seemed very little and the custard base seemed runny and watery. My impression is, it’s either chilled prior serving when supposedly, it should be just at room temperature or had too much milk.10: Red Hot Bopis: This dish is a combination of pig’s lungs, liver, heart and large intestines minced and sauteed with shallots, garlic, carrots, and chilies. This should also and when you eat it, you will easily distinguish its individual flavor and texture.
10: Red Hot Bopis: This dish is a combination of minced pig’s lungs, liver, heart and large intestines. Then sautéed with shallots, garlic, tomatoes, and chilies, some would add minced carrots and red bell pepper for a better flavor. This is very important, when chewing this, you should easily identify the individual flavors and texture of each internal organs. However, the Bopis served to us isn’t really close to that description. Only the liver and the heart are identifiable. Also, it does not taste peppery like it should. The minced lungs which is the most tender isn’t present from this dish either.
Areas of improvement: The high bar chairs were arranged too close to the chairs of the other table, it was difficult to move. Consider proper spacing.
Where Is This?
Ground Floor, North Wing, Shangri-La Plaza, Ortigas, Mandaluyong City
Branch Contact Number: (02) 531-8207
Check Their Website! http://planetgrapes.com.ph/
Follow Their Social Media: